What is RDI?
Relationship Development Intervention® (RDI®) is a cost effective, research guided, intervention approach for remediating Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Relationship Development Intervention® (RDI®) is a family-based program that aims to provide quality of life to individuals with ASD and their families.
RDI® is based on the belief that individuals with ASD can develop the cognitive, emotional, communicative and social tools needed to obtain the quality of life which their disorder deprives them of (Gutstein, 2005)
How does the RDI program work?
The RDI program is a bio-psycho-social approach for treating Autism Spectrum Disorder. This intervention is a tailored set of objectives intended to target the core deficits of Autism.
A set of developmentally sequenced steps, the RDI program provides remediation to this complex condition. Families, with the help and guidance of a certified RDI consultant, slowly and carefully create opportunities for their child’s neural growth. Overtime, parents become more competent in interacting with their child at the same time as making an impact on their child’s ability to form friendships, engage in flexible thought and master problem-solving abilities.
The RDI Consultant
The Consultant is the single most important tool in the RDI program. Consultants are trained to play a role as facilitators, tailoring learning programs based on the unique needs of each family.
- Carefully transfer their abilities to parents over a series of clear objectives so parents can become fully independent in applying the essential tools.
- Help parents modify their communication, slow their pace and focus on the underlying opportunities available in their daily routines.
- Teach parents to conduct observations and analysis of critical processes.
- Break down large, complex abilities into manageable units.
- Construct clear, systematic assignments, individualised to the daily realities of the family.
- Tailor what they do for each parent and child
- Analyse child obstacles to make learning environment user friendly Determine each child Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) to know where developmentally to proceed.
The RDI Operating System (RDIOS)
The operating system is an online, virtual community learning that allows users to do many things. The RDIOS:
- Provide a secure and confidential multi-media online “charts” with access to objectives, assignments, communication and samples of progress for that family
- Provide a virtual space where consultants, parents and other team members effectively communicate
- Provide a place where parents upload representative samples of their interaction to their consultant for review, based on specific assignments constructed by the consultant.
- Provide access to weekly educational webinars an specific topic courses.
- Provide discussion forums for parents and consultants.
- Provide progress tracking reports allowing parents to review their progress in different areas and chart their future goals and objectives.
- Allow professionals and families around the world to contribute to increase effectiveness.
Who is RDI for?
The RDI Program is for any family interested in remediating the core deficits of Autism as well as improving the entire family’s quality of life.
Dr. Gutstein and RDI